How did Michael Hutchence die?

Before I go into the story of Michael Hutchence, I have to advise that this blog does contain some erotic imagery, The imagery is meant to illustrate some acts. It will become clear why I am using this later in the blog.

Michael K Hutchence was an Australian musician, singer-songwriter and actor. He co-founded the rock band INXS, which sold over 75 million records worldwide and was inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame in 2001. He was the lead singer and lyricist of INXS from 1977 until his death.

On the morning of 22 November 1997, Hutchence was found dead in his hotel room in Sydney. His death was reported by the New South Wales Coroner to be the result of suicide by hanging.

As vocalist for the very popular rock band INXS, He was ideally-situated to indulge in sexual thrill-seeking and, by most accounts, he applied himself with a diligence well beyond that of the mere dilettante. “Twosomes, threesomes, foursomes, hidden cameras – Michael was into all that,” according to his friend, Nick Egan. How about sado-masochism, choking and tieing-up? “Yeah, yeah, he did everything,” said his lover, Paula Yates.

Many people have judged him for that behaviour, but there is nothing to indicate that this was not consensual.

Not an actual picture of Michael Hutchence, this is just to illustrate one of the acts he indulged in.

His death was initially believed to have been a sex act that went wrong, although it may have contributed to it, there were several other factors.

In August 1992, Hutchence and his then girlfriend Helena Christensen were riding their bikes at night on a street in Copenhagen when he refused to move for a taxi. The taxi driver then assaulted him, causing Michael to fall backwards and hit his head on the roadway. He suffered a fractured skull in the altercation. He did not immediately seek medical assistance for the injury, instead he waited several days before seeing a doctor. As a result, his fractured skull left him with an almost complete loss of the sense of smell and significant loss of taste. And left him with two large areas of permanent damage.

This injury led to periods of depression and increased levels of aggression; he had not fully recovered after two weeks in a Copenhagen hospital. According to INXS bandmate Beers, Hutchence brandished a knife and threatened to kill him during the 1993 recording of Full Moon, Dirty Hearts on the isle of Capri. Beers recalled, “Over those six weeks, Michael threatened or physically confronted nearly every member of the band.

Filmmaker Richard Lowenstein who made a documentary about Michael said

“One of the biggest tragedies is that because he was a rock star, people just associate those things with rock star-type behaviour.He’d burst into tears and say, ‘It’s all about taste and smell that I’m so depressed… If I have a baby, I won’t be able to smell my own child.'”

On 22 July 1996, Yates gave birth to her daughter with Hutchence, Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily Hutchence.

Another thing that greatly effected him was At the 1996 Brit Awards, Noel Gallagher from Oasis said about Michael Hutchence ,after Michael had presented them with an award ” A fucking has-been should not give an award to a gonna be” in front of the whole world. This was totally uncalled for.

Hutchence was found dead in Room 524 of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel at Double Bay, in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, on the Saturday morning of November 22, 1997.

The 37-year-old, who had checked into the hotel four days earlier under the name ‘Mr Murray River’, appeared to have hanged himself with his snake skin belt.

A post-mortem examination found alcohol, cocaine, codeine, Prozac, Valium and other prescribed benzodiazepines – or ‘benzos’ – in Hutchence’s urine and blood. He left no suicide note.

In the hours before his death Hutchence had spoken by telephone to Yates, the former wife of Boomtown Rats lead singer and Live Aid planner Bob Geldof, and to Geldof himself.

Hutchence had been hoping Yates would visit Australia with their 16-month-old daughter Tiger Lily and two of her three daughters with Geldof, ahead of the last leg of an INXS world tour. But Paula Yates decided to stay in London.

Yates and Geldof were embroiled in a bitter custody dispute and Hutchence learnt on the morning of the 22nd of November 1997,the children would not be coming out. That meant Yates would not be coming either.The night before his death Hutchence shared dinner with his father Kel.

Between 11pm and 5am the next day he was with his onetime lover, actor Kym Wilson, and her then boyfriend Andrew Rayment at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel. The trio drank vodka, beer, champagne and cocktails during the night.

Hutchence was apparently upset when he spoke to another former girlfriend, Michele Bennett, at 9.54am. Ms Bennett went to the hotel but could not rouse him by telephone or knocking on his door.

A maid found Hutchence dead behind his room door at 11.50am. Less than three months later, the police case was closed.

Michael and his dad Kel

So many people have been so judgmental , claiming he was a sexual deviant and that his death was caused by being kinky.

The official verdict of the New South Wales coroner Derrick Hand is that the singer committed suicide. However, others say that the death Of Michael Hutchence was caused by a bout of “autoerotic asphyxiation” which resulted in the singer accidentally strangling himself.

I tend to believe the suicide verdict. Michael never recovered from the assault, he was mocked by fellow musicians and he had a feeling he would not see his child again. Which clearly led to depression


Leave a Comment

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.