The Alderney camps were prison camps built and operated by Nazi Germany during its World War II occupation of the Channel Islands. The Channel Islands was the only part of the British Isles to be occupied.
The Nazis built four camps on Alderney. The Nazi Organisation Todt (OT) operated each subcamp and used forced labour to build fortifications in Alderney including bunkers, gun emplacements, air-raid shelters, tunnels and concrete fortifications.
The camps commenced operating in January 1942. They were named after the Frisian Islands.
Four labour camps were built, which were named after the German islands of Sylt, Borkum, Norderney and Helgoland.
The camps on Alderney were run from the Neuengamme concentration camp in German Anton Yezhel is one of the few forced workers who was sent to Alderney to have been pictured. Sadly, whether his survived the conditions in unknown.
Lager Sylt, whose gates still stand today, housed the Jewish…
View original post 499 more words